About Tom Beck
Tom has served for over 28 years as a senior executive, board member or independent advisor to companies in a wide range of industries including technology, medical device, instrumentation, manufacturing, oil and gas waste water treatment, distribution and services. He has worked with early stage, growth, middle market and large companies, both private and publicly-held, including companies having significant international operations. He has extensive transaction experience, having been a key contributor to the completion of 12 M&A transactions totaling $360 million. Further, he has been instrumental in raising over $150 million in more than 30 transactions from venture capital, private equity, private placement, public offering, joint venture, strategic partnership, lease and debt financing sources. Tom has been a founding partner in two professional services firms, Eagle Advisors, LLC, a CFO services firm, and Swan Capital, LLC, a specialty investment bank. He began his career in public accounting as an intern with Ernst & Young, and later joined Touche Ross & Co., now part of the “Big Four” firm of Deloitte. While with Touche, he became a CPA (now inactive).
Tom has a strong operational orientation, having held the positions of Controller, CFO, CEO and member of the Board of Directors. He is a proven leader having built and managed groups ranging from a few to over 180 employees. As CFO, he has been responsible for the finance, accounting, treasury, financial planning and analysis, human resources, facilities, information technology (“IT”), customer service and order entry functions. He has a particular passion for IT, having served as Project Leader in six ERP system selection and implementation projects. He also has a reputation for developing comprehensive and accurate financial models in Excel for a wide range of businesses utilizing proprietary techniques.
- Managed the preparation and completion of a very clean, yet thorough, due diligence process in connection with a strategic transaction resulting in the sale of an instrumentation company to a $1.6 billion public company in the U.K.
- Completed two IPO’s totaling $16 million and two secondary public offerings totaling $38 million
- Instrumental in the post-merger integration of over 10 acquired companies
- Interim CEO in turnaround of a venture-backed medical device company
- Provided CFO Services for the interim management team in the successful turnaround of a publicly-held high technology company
- Served on the board of directors of an instrumentation company for 19 years, from an early stage to a successful exit
- Served on the advisory board of a medical device company for seven years from inception to a successful exit
- Acted in the capacities of fraud auditor, statistics instructor and computer audit specialist while in public accounting
Tom has been active in various professional, community and church projects, including as a volunteer CFO-Mentor and occasional guest instructor at the School of Entrepreneurship, University of Colorado in Boulder, and as a founding member and past Chairman of the Boulder County CFO Roundtable. He also served as the Church Coordinator for Crown Financial Ministries at Resurrection Fellowship in Loveland, CO, and was a founding board member with Restoration Church in Boulder.
Tom is happily married to his wife Cheryl, and has two grown children, Jessica and Jameson, both of whom live and work along the Front Range. Tom enjoys outdoor activities, RVing, woodworking, music and motorcycle touring.
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Accounting – University of Michigan
Certificates & Licenses:
- CPA (inactive)